Daily OverviewEach day of the Challenge will include each of the following:
- Inspiration or Motivation (usually in the form of a video or story)
- The Challenge (what you should do)
- Hashtags (to share your progress)
- Resources (phrases, grammar, and/or vocab that may pertain)
- I will try to make each Daily Challenge post "live" by at least 8am every morning (some mornings will be 8:30 or 9, etc).
- I will try to send out the Daily Challenge newsletter around lunchtime every day.
- If for any reason I miss either of those "deadlines," the times will be pushed back as follows: 8am, 12pm, 5pm, 10pm.
Week 1 (The Foundation)
Friday, June 21 - Sunday, June 23
|0||Thurs||June 20||Guidelines and Preparing Properly.||Take a photo or video to show off your Korean Challenge materials. #k2k300|
|1||Fri||June 21||Step out of your Comfort Zone.||Make a self-introduction video entirely in Korean (in front of someone else). #k2k301|
|2||Sat||June 22||Change your Reference Levels.||Speak Korean with at least 5 people today. #k2k302|
|3||Sun||June 23||Try, practice, FAIL, succeed.||Try out at least 3 new words, phrases, or grammar structures on 3 different people today. #k2k303 #fail2succeed|
Week 2 (Famous People)
Monday, June 24 - Sunday, June 30
|4||Mon||June 24||Josh Kaufman: Prime your brain for greater memory retention.||Read a Korean book (or part) and use the new words you learn 5 times today. #k2k304 #brainpriming|
|5||Tues||June 25||Jackie Chan's mutli-disciplinary approach.||Watch a (Korean) subtitled movie or TV show and take notes. Then use what you learned. #k2k305 #languagebyTV|
|6||Wed||June 26||Michael Phelps and the science of small wins.||Answer the question (in Korean): 어떻게 한국말을 아주 잘 배올거예요? #k2k306 #smallwins|
|7||Thurs||June 27||Arnold Schwarzenegger's language leaning mindset.||Avoid English today. Have a 20-minute conversation with someone in Korean. #k2k307 #turnofftheTV|
|8||Fri||June 28||Sam Hammington's language learning Confidence.||Meet at least 2 new people and (confidently) start a conversation. #k2k308 #getoutBconfident|
|9||Sat||June 29||Read like Abraham Lincoln for better memory & confidence.||Record a video of your oral reading of a story 3 times. #k2k309 #readlikeLincoln|
|10||Sun||June 30||Lee Byung-Hun and pronunciation practice.||Ask a native speaker to coach your pronunciation. #k2k3010 #perfectpronunciation|
Week 3 (Specific Skills)
Monday, July 1 - Sunday, July 7
|11||Mon||July 1||The importance of vocabulary acquisition cannot be overstated.||Make a list of vocab to study. Learn 10-50 per day for the week (50-350 total). #k2k3011 #vocabMaster|
|12||Tues||July 2||The best way to learn grammar is to USE it.||Choose 5-10 grammar rules you've studied and write 10 sentences EACH in your notebook. #k2k3012 #writingmygrammar|
|13||Wed||July 3||Proper spelling enhances vocabulary, memory, and reading ability.||Practice spelling words or phrases you hear from a friend or students. #k2k3013 #spellingGenius|
|14||Thurs||July 4||Dictation improves Listening, Writing, Reading, AND Speaking.||Practice dictation with audio, then proofreading it, and re-reading it aloud. #k2k3014 #dictation|
|15||Fri||July 5||Proper Korean word spacing can save lives!||Write an essay with a TOPIK prompt using the spacing and Wongoji guidelines. #k2k3015 #wordspacingWiz|
|16||Sat||July 6||Learn to text message like a native.||Have a 20 sentence texting conversation with a friend using slang and emoticons. #k2k3016 #SMSfun|
|17||Sun||July 7||Improve your Korean with longer passage memorization.||Choose a resource listed and find something to study and memorize. #k2k3017 #KORmemorization|
Week 4 (Fun & Games)
Monday, July 8 - Sunday, July 14
|18||Mon||July 8||Learn new expressions and solidify your memory with Children's Songs||Learn 1-3 children's songs and sing them in a video. #k2k3018 #kidssongs|
|19||Tues||July 9||Learn a pop song and sing it in the 노래방.||Go sing Korean in 노래방. #k2k3019 #kpopstar|
|20||Wed||July 10||Why and how you should Mimic native speakers.||Record a video of you watching TV and mimicking what you hear. #k2k3020 #noaccent|
|21||Thurs||July 11||3 Korean word games to test or increase your vocab.||Play one of the three word games and record a video of it. #k2k3021 #wordgames|
|22||Fri||July 12||Increase your enjoyment of Korean with a dialect (사투리).||Have someone teach you the local dialect. #k2k3022 #dialectsarefun|
|23||Sat||July 13||Improve your Korean flow and fluency by remaking a TV advertisement.||Choose an advert, study and learn it, then record your own voiceover for it. #k2k3023 #ImOnTV|
|24||Sun||July 14||Practically practice Korean by reviewing Korean movies (in Korean)||Watch a Korean movie and review it in Korean. #k2k3024 #moviecritic|
Week 5 (Practical Skills)
Monday, July 15 - Sunday, July 21
|25||Mon||July 15||Learn to read Korean food labels.||Compare the nutritional differences between 2 competing products on video. #k2k3025 #healthinspector|
|26||Tues||July 16||Ordering food in Korean is mindblowingly awesome!||Call for delivery and record your phone call (and success!) #k2k3026 #baedalmaster|
|27||Wed||July 17||36 Tips for talking to Korean Taxi Drivers||Record (or later paraphrase) a conversation with a taxi driver. #k2k3027 #taxitalker|
|28||Thurs||July 18||Find a language exchange partner for better practice||Find a language exchange partner and record a conversation with them. Also plan a regular meeting. #k2k3028 #languageexchange|
|29||Fri||July 19||Why reading aloud and dramatizing your speech can help improve your Korean.||Dramatize a story or dialogue aloud. Try to match a native's pronunciation and fluency. #k2k3029 #voiceactor|
|30||Sat||July 20||Giving a foreign language speech is the ULTIMATE test of your language ability.||Find a venue, give a speech in Korean, and record it. #k2k3030 #speakKing|
|Bonus||Sun||July 21||What to prepare and expect on the TOPIK test date.||Take the TOPIK and PASS!~ #TOPIK #TOPIKlevel_|
1. What inspired the 30-Day Challenge?Benny Lewis, the Irish polyglot and his TEDx talk: Speak from Day 1, along with his blog: Fluent in 3 Months inspired this Challenge. (Here's my first blog post on the subject.)
2. Why create the 30-Day Challenge?For a number of reasons:
- The 31st TOPIK test is exactly 30 days away (July 21).
- It's summer vacation time where I have a little more free time to study and practice.
- We wanted to start a Korean Kafe free-speaking club, and this seems like a good time to start (and include that in the Challenge).
- Doing this together is so much better (and more motivating) than doing it alone.
3. Why are you doing the 30-Day Challenge?
- For starters, I've registered for the 31st TOPIK and I want to ACE it! (초급 level)
- Secondly, I hate speaking Korean. That's not in my Comfort Zone. In fact, it's well outside my Comfort Zone. Speaking Korean with my wife, in the comfort of my own house, destroys my comfort. But I want to change that. I want to learn how to speak Korean well, so I must practice.
- Finally, my goal is to eventually get a job not teaching English in a Korean company. That's never going to happen without becoming comfortable with speaking Korean. This Challenge is an effort to take significant steps toward my final goal in a short(er) period of time.