Loading Subtitles directly from the Internet
- Load your AVI, MOV, MKV, MP4, or whatever it may be.
- Click the "SUB" button just under the progress bar to the right and select "자막찾기" ("Find subtitle").
- Grant permission to the app to go to the Internet.
- This brings up a subtitle search page on GOM's Subtitle Archive website with your filename automatically entered as the search query.
- Click on one that looks relevant and check it out.
- If it looks good, click "바로보기" to load it instantly back in your GOM Player window.
Downloading your own SubtitlesOriginally, performing the above steps led to the GOM subtitle page with the option to "Download" the file ("다운로드"). But these days, the only button that pops up using the above method is "View Directly" ("바로보기"). This can be a pain in the butt if you want to show the movie with the same subtitles again later (because I haven't figured out if or where the first method stores those subtitle files - I think they're just streamed from the 'Net). It's better to just Download your own. If you want to Download your own file:
- Go directly to the GOM Subtitles Archives ("자막 자료실").
- Enter the name of the movie you're searching for (searching by filename is a great idea since this is what GOM player does itself by default).
- Select one that looks good.
- Click "다운로드" and Save the file with the same filename as the video file (if they aren't already the same).
Loading your Subtitle fileOnce you have a subtitle file (either from GOM or another website), you'll probably have to learn how to load the subtitles as well to be sure they show up (sometimes they don't just pop up automatically). To do this:
- Right-click on the video file as it plays.
- Mouse over "자막" and select "자막 보이기" ("View Subtitles") (also Alt+H in Windows)
- The other option (Alt+E in Windows) is "자막 탐색기" ("Subtitle Explorer") if you need to browse around to find the appropriate file.
Comprehensive List of GOM Player 자막 Options
- 자막 보이기 (Alt+H) = "Show subtitles"
- 자막 탐색기 (Alt+E) = "Subtitle Explorer"
- 기본 위치 (Alt+Home) = "Original position"
- 2% 위로 (Alt+Up) = "Move 2% up"
- 2% 아래로 (Alt+Down) = "Move 2% down"
- 2% 왼쪽으로 (Alt+Left) = "Move 2% left"
- 2% 오른쪽으로 (Alt+Right) = "Move 2% right"
- 좌우 여백 증가 (Alt+Numpad6) = "Increase left & right margins"
- 좌우 여백 감소 (Alt+Numpad4) = "Decrease left & right margins"
- 상하 여백 증가 (Alt+Numpad8) = "Increase top & bottom margins"
- 상하 여백 감소 (Alt+Numpad2) = "Decrease top & bottom margins"
- 자동 크기 조절 = "Automatic size"
- 글자 굵게 (Alt+B) = "Bolder subtitles"
- 글자 크게 (Alt+PageUp) = "Bigger subtitles"
- 글자 작게 (Alt+PageDn) = "Smaller subtitles"
- 0.5초 빠르게 (>) = "0.5 seconds faster"
- 0.5초 느리게 (<) = "0.5 seconds slower"
- 기본 싱크 (/) = "Original Sync"
- 싱크 저장 (Alt+S) = "Save the Sync"
- 3D 자막 모드 선택 = "Select 3D subtitle mode" (this hasn't worked for me yet)
- 언어 선택 (S) = "Select language"
Congratulations! You are now a: Certified GOM Player Subtitle Master! Now go enjoy your movie!
Coincidentally, I also found an English version of GOM player. I haven't tried it out for subtitles yet, but here is the download anyway: