- State a reason the listener should already know – or possibly forgot
- Scold the listener for not heeding prior warnings if something bad happens
- Equivalent to “You ought to know…”
- Also “totally”
- ONLY conversational, ONLY among friends
- If scolding the listener about not heeding prior warnings, then a statement indicating WHAT that prior warning was is included
- A/V: ~았/었잖아요
- N이다: 였/이었잖아요
- A/V: ~잖아요
- N이다: (이)잖아요
- A/V: ~(으)ㄹ 거잖아요
(Star Wars) Examples:
I decided to do something different with these example sentences from here on out. For more fun, I’ll write as if I were a character from a famous movie. Today: Star Wars.
과거 (다스 베이더 – Darth Vader):
- Adj: 요다, 너도 한 때 젊었었잖아요.
Yoda, remember you were also young once.
- V: 김연아의 소치 동계 올림픽 공연을 봤어요? 잘 했잖아요.
Did you see Kim Yuna’s performance at the Sochi Winter Olympics? She was awesome!
- N: 그거 오렌지라고 생각했어요? 아니야~ 귤이었잖아요.
Did you think that was called an “orange”? Nope~ You should know it’s a mandarin.
- Adj: 황제 팔파틴의 발표가 항상 지루했잖아요.
You know Emperor Palpatine’s speeches are always soooo boring.
- V: 장관 타킨을 찾을 수 없었어요? 그렇지, 나는 타킨을 포스 교살했잖아요.~
You can’t find General Tarkin? That’s right. I totally Force-choked him.~
- N: 달이라고 생각했어요? 달은 아니었잖아요. 데스스타이었잖아요!
Do you think that’s a moon? You outta know it’s not a moon! It’s a Death Star, duh!
현재 (룩 스카이워커 – Luke Skywalker):
- Adj: 타투인의 여름은 덥잖아요.
You know Tatooine summers are always hot.
- V: 난 요다한테서 포스훈련을 받잖아요.
You outta know I was trained by Yoda!
- N: 쓰레기통이야? 아니~ 그것은 내 엑스윙 전투기잖아요.
Does that look like a trash can? No~ You outta know that’s my X-wing fighter!
- Adj: 내가 뭐라고 했어요? 쓰리피오는 자바와 친하다고잖아요.
What did I just say? 3PO has to be nice to Jabba.
- V: 내가 짱이다! 나 혼자 데스스타를 파괴하잖아요!
I’m totally awesome! You know I blew up the Death Star all by myself!
- N: 왜 이렇게 나빠요? 아빠! 난 아들이잖아요!~
Why are you so mean? Daddy! I’m your son!~
미래/추측 (레어 공주 – Princess Leia):
- Adj: 너 스톰트루퍼가 되고 싶어요? 너무 키가 작잖아요.
You want to be a Stormtrooper? You outta know you’re way too short.
- V: 쉿! 비밀이야! 다스 베이더가 내 고향을 파괴할 거잖아요!
Shhh! It’s a secret! Darth Vader will totally blow up my hometown!
- Adj: 룩하고 아빠가 조정하면 전쟁이 끝날 거잖아요.
If Luke and Dad reconcile, then this war will totally be over.
- V: 야호! 호스 행성에서 눈 사움할 거잖아요!
Yahoo! You should know we can totally have snowball fights on the Planet Hoth!
- Adj (Present): 한! 그것은 바보같은 생각이잖아!
Han! You outta know that’s a completely idiotic idea!
- Adj: 나와 한은 서로 사랑하니까 결혼하면 완전할 거잖아요.~~
You know since Han and I love each other so much, if we get married it’ll be totally perfect!~~