- The first clause (usually a negative influence on the second) describes the reason or cause for the second clause
- Equivalent to "Unfortunately, as a result of..."
- ONLY used with verbs
- Second clause is ALWAYS past tense (because it's describing something that has happened)
- Don't: use positive clauses - it sounds unnatural - this expression is for negative things that have happened (but very rarely something positive can be said - only if it was completely unexpected or unintended)
- Don't: use propositions/imperative forms
- Difference: ~아/어서 = a simple reason, ~는 바람에 = an unintended result
아이언맨 페퍼랑 키스 후에 '찰싹' 뱜을 맞는 바람에 아이언맨슈트가 추락했어요.
Iron Man: As a result of the slap I received after kissing Pepper, my Iron Man suit crashed.
쟈비스 아이언맨슈트가 추락하는 바람에 난 죽었어요~
Jarvis: As a result of the Iron Man suit crashing, I died.~
블렉위도 남자친구랑 자는 바람에 임신했어요~
Black Widow: Since I slept with my boyfriend, I became pregnant.
헐크 스카렛요한슨은 임신하는 바람에 우울했어요...
Hulk: Since Scarlett Johansson got pregnant, I got depressed...
토르 로키가 나를 속이는 바람에 초콜릿 아이스크림을 못 먹었어요.
Thor: Because of Loki's deception, I was unable to eat chocolate ice cream.
캡틴어메리카 여권을 잃어버리는 바람에 한국에서 영화 촬영을 못 했어요.
Captain America: Because I lost my passport, I was unable to film in Korea.
혹아이 어설픈 라식 수술하는 바람에 눈이 멀게 되었어요.
Hawkeye: As a result of my botched Lasik surgery, I became blind.
닉퓨리 쓴 아침 커피를 마시는 바람에 하루종일 화가 났거든요!
Nick Fury: Since I drank bitter coffee this morning, I've been pissed off all day!
퀵실버 바닥에 오일이 있는 바람에 달리기하면서 미끄러져서 허리가 부러졌어요.
Quicksilver: Since there was oil on the floor, while I was running, I slipped and broke my hip.
스카렛위치 스카렛 샴푸를 사용하는 바람에 머리가 빨갛게 됐어요.
Scarlet Witch: As a result of using scarlet shampoo, my hair became red.